"PHP is an
HTML-embedded scripting language. Much of its syntax is borrowed from
C, Java and Perl with a couple of unique PHP-specific features thrown
in. The goal of the language is to allow web developers to write
dynamically generated pages quickly."
It is a good definition of PHP but it would be easier to think
in terms of what it can do.PHP can do the followings:
- Less time to create large websites
- Create pages customized to user's preferences based on data gathered from them.
- Create online tools. see PHP - HotScripts for examples of the great things that are possible with PHP.
- Creation of shopping carts for e-commerce websites etc --
What You Should Know
Having basic understanding and experience in the followings will help a lot:
- HTML - Know the syntax and especially HTML Forms.
- Basic programming knowledge - If you have any other programming experience, learning PHP will be easier.
This tutorial is intended for introduction to PHP.
Don't try and take in too fast, take a break often.Let the
information sinks in.
Note For more detail please see Php Manual at http://www.php.net