- Title: 화유기 / Hwayugi
- Also known as: Hwayuki
- Genre: Fantasy, romance, comedy
- Episodes: 20
- Broadcast network: tvN
- Broadcast period: 2017-Dec-23 to 2018-Mar-04
- Air time: Saturday & Sunday 21:00
- Original Soundtrack: Hwayugi OST
Since birth Jin Sun Mi could see evil spirits. When she was a girl, she met two supernatural creatures - Woo Hwi Chul and Son Oh Gong. 25 Years later twist of fate puts the three together again.
Jin Sun Mi is now wealthy, beautiful woman that has to handle with demons getting in her way. Woo Hwi Chul is trying to get a promotion to God and Song Oh Gong is desperate to unseal his powers. Things get tangled when the legend of a human being with a blood that can make any spirit incredibly powerful turns out to be true and Song Oh Gong decides to eat that human while Woo Hwi Chul has to protect it.
A reinterpretation of Chinese novel “Journey to the West” into the present days with a romantic-fantasy twist. --
- Main Cast
Correlation Chart - click to enlarge
- Supporting Cast
See A Korean Odyssey/Episode Ratings
- This drama is loosely based on the 16th century Chinese novel Journey to the West (西遊記).
- The Korean title Hwayugi is a play on Seoyugi (서유기), the Korean pronunciation of the title of the original Chinese novel. As such, it does not translate readily into English, so the official English title is A Korean Odyssey.
- Park Bo Gum was offered a lead role, but declined.
- Filming began November 2017.
- After a serious injury to a production staff member on the set, filming was stopped from December 30 to January 2 for an internal safety inspection. As a result, 2 PD Kim Jung Hyun and Kim Byung Soo were added in the drama production.
- Lee Seung Ki received more than 120 million won per episode thus making it the highest pay for a cable drama. He broke the previous record set by Ji Chang Wook for his role in The K2.