- Title: 태양의 후예 / Taeyangui Huye
- Genre: Romance, melodrama, comedy
- Episodes: 16 + 3 Special Episodes
- Broadcast network: KBS2
- Broadcast period: 2016-Feb-24 to 2016-Apr-22
- Air time: Wednesday & Thursday 22:00
- Viewership ratings: Peak rating
- Nielsen Korea : Nationwide=38.8%, Seoul=41.6%
- TNmS: Nationwide=35.3%, Seoul=40.5%
- Original Soundtrack: Descendants of the Sun OST
This story tells of doctors stationed in the fictional war zone of Urk (Uruk), and follows the love story that develops between a surgeon (Kang Mo-yeon) and a special forces officer (Yoo Shi-jin), both elite in their respective fields. The story will track both their personal and professional struggles while exploring issues about the value of life.
- Main Cast
- Song Joong Ki as Captain Yoo Shi Jin of the Alpha Team (aka Big Boss)
- Song Hye Kyo as Professor Kang Mo Yun (aka Beauty)
- Jin Goo as Chief Master Sergeant Seo Dae Young (aka Wolf)
- Kim Ji Won as Lieutenant Yoon Myung Joo (Orthopedic Surgeon)
- Kang Shin Il as Lieutenant General Yoon (Myung Joo's father) (aka Yellow Tiger)
- Alpha Team
- Haesung Hospital Medical Services Team
- People at Haesung Hospital
- Hyun Jyu Ni as Pyo Ji Soo (Pathology Specialist)
- Tae In Ho as Han Suk Won (Chairman of Haesung Hospital)
- Park Ah In as Kim Eun Ji (Thoracic Surgery Specialist)
- Jo Woo Ri as Jang Hee Eun (1st Year Resident of Anesthesiology)
- People in Urk (Uruk)
2016 KBS Drama Awards:
2016 52nd Baeksang Arts Awards:
2016 Scene Stealer Festival:
2016 1st Indonesian Television Awards:
2016 43rd Korean Broadcasting Grand Prize:
2016 11th Seoul International Drama Awards:
2016 9th Korea Drama Awards:
See Descendants of the Sun/Episode Ratings
- First drama series for KBS where filming will be completed prior to airing the drama series.
- First script reading took place on May 28, 2015 at KBS Annex Broadcasting Station in Yeouido, South Korea.
- Filming started June 12, 2015, with Song Joong Ki joining in July, and finished in the early morning of December 30, 2015.
- Filming took place in Greece for about a month from September 28, 2015.
- Descendants of the Sun was the first drama of Song Joong Ki after being discharged from the army.
- The show’s filming schedule was heavily delayed for several reasons, a couple of it being the 2015 MERS-CoV outbreak in South Korea and Song Joong Ki who in the middle of filming a scene, suffered from multiple injuries (his injuries were a fractured wrist and a damaged ligament).
- The drama has been exported to 32 countries, achieving success in Latin America, Europe and the rest of Asia.
- The drama is responsible of inspiring a great number of young men in wanting to join the South Korean Special Forces Unit for their mandatory military service.
- Thanks in part of the success of this drama it has been spread into the popular consciousness a Korean speaking only used in the military known as "soldier talk."
- Descendants of the Sun was not originally written as a love story between a soldier and a doctor, it was initially planned to be based on an award-winning and popular short story by Kim Won Seok called "Medecins Sans Frontieres" (Doctors Without Borders). The story was going to be centered around a male emergency responder who ended up dedicating his life to humanitarian work. Kim Eun Sook was brought on to the project and she rewrote the whole story changing the lead characters and adding more romance to engage audiences with the drama.
- Song Hye Kyo was coached by real-life doctors to aid her in giving an accurate authenticity to her performance as a doctor.
- SBS was originally going to air the drama, It didn't end up happening for a few reasons, no agreement was reached while the production was being discussed, SBS was also worried about the themes of war and disaster, and there was some concern of wardrobe sponsorship.
See Descendants of the Sun/Reviews